What is Live Streaming on YouTube?
Live streaming is a feature on YouTube using which you can reach out your audience live. Before you start off with live streaming, you will need to do a few things. First and foremost, you will need to confirm whether your channel is verified and that you haven’t face any type of restrictions in the last 90 days. Once live streaming is enabled on your desktop, click on Creator Studio tools –> Live Streaming. On the YouTube app on mobile, you can create a live stream.
Stream Now is quite an easy way of streaming. This is one of the simplest ways to learn streaming. YouTube detects both stream resolution and frame rate automatically. Once you go live, transcoding will be done to lower resolutions to ensure that all your fans can enjoy streaming irrespective of the quality of their internet connection. In order to go instantly, you will need to follow a number of steps. Some of them are mentioned below:-
- Download and set up your encoder utilizing the Stream Name/Key and Server URL. Also, learn more about encoders.
- Then, add and a title and description within the BASIC INFO tab. A custom thumbnail can also be added to represent the event.
- Optional-You can schedule the timing of your next stream.
- You can also add an optional Fan Funding card for earning money via your stream.
- In case you select the Gaming Category, add a Game title for people to discover your stream.
- Once you have done that, set privacy settings as Public, Unlisted or Private.
- In the tab for STREAM OPTIONS, you will have to select either Low Latency or Highest Quality. Low Latency is closer to the real-time for users. Highest Quality offers the best viewing experience for your audience.
- In case you just have the rights to a live show, verify the Mark archive unlisted when complete box.
When the stream goes live:-
- Interact with your target audience using live chat.
- Share the link across social media platforms using the SHARE tool.
- Keep a track on the Analytics section in real-time.
- Check stream in the player, top status bar and Stream Health tab.
Once the stream gets over, you will need to stop sending content via your encoder. The event will be automatically archived for up to 12 hours and made available in Video Manager. It is also wise to have a local archive as the backup. Also, remember that the YouTube Video Editor isn’t available for more than an hour at present.
Events offer you with greater control for your stream. So, you will be able to select options for privacy, set a start time and start a backup stream, create numerous live events and stream them at the same time. From CREATOR STUDIO, you will need to click LIVE STREAMING before selecting Events. Then, click on the New Live Event on the right.
Finish the Basic Info tab which includes – title, description & tags before entering start & end times. On the privacy settings, just the public events will be visible on your search results and promotion. For testing, you will have to choose either Private or Unlisted. Then, select Quick for launching Hangouts on Air. Then, select Custom in order to utilize encoders and controls.